Camp Hillard’s 90th Summer Season kicked off on Monday, June 25th. After a long, cold winter, campers and counselors and parents were thrilled that Opening Day was finally upon us!
On Opening Day, campers and counselors got to know one another. As groups got off the bus, they were brought to their respective Tribal meeting areas where camper and counselor introductions were made. Tribes got to know each other’s names by playing all different types of Getting to Know You games. After putting things away in our bunks, we had a great first day of activities, including our first swim. A new addition to Hillard’s Lunch selections, Bosco Sticks with marinara sauce, was on the menu for all campers. Campers were curious and excited to try these delicious mozzarella-filled bread sticks and the end of day refreshment, a Twin-Pop, was truly delicious!
The rest of Week 1 was also highlighted by:
- Campers being assigned to their swim instruction groups.
- Exciting sports instruction and games, including Sports Leagues
- Many groups had their first arts and/or other specialty activities.
- Tuesday was our first Tribal Color Day. Camp was awash in a sea of colors as campers and counselors alike were decked out in their special colored t-shirt.
- Marshmallow Roasts began on Wednesday. Every group can look forward to one Marshmallow and one S’mores Roast over the summer, in addition to an Ice Cream Party.
- Friday was Wacky Socks Day. Campers and counselors wore their wildest, wackiest, funniest, fastest, most favorite socks….You get the idea!
Next week will be another fun filled week of excitement. In addition to all the fun of the regular schedule, we will also have the following special events:
- The Annual Camp Lollipop Hunt will take place on Monday.
- Campers can look forward to our Independence Day celebration on Tuesday, highlighted by an exciting Independence Day parade, an all-camp cookout, special refreshments, a visit from the Fire Department, and other special activities throughout the day.
- Camp is closed on Wednesday, July 4th. Happy Birthday, America!
For more details specific to your child’s group, please read our Weekly Tribal Newsletters which are found in the Enrolled Camp Families section of our website.
We hope everyone has a great weekend!